Materials Science Group
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam
X-RAY AND CRYSTAL GROWTH SECTION
· Investigating correlation between crystal structure and functional properties - Manganites, Oxides, Matlockites, Spinels, Titanates, etc.
· Structural changes induced by temperature and pressure : AlV2O4, LiMn2O4 and ZnCr2O4 , MFX (M=Ba/Pb; X = Cl, Br or I
· Studies on multiferroics and other functional materials unravelling their magnetic, dielectric, optical, electrical conductivity and micro/macro hardness properties
· Growth and Characterization of Technologically important Single Crystals (e.g. CdZnTe)
SQUIDS & APPLICATIONS SECTION
· Development of Low Tc & HTSC SQUIDs
· High Field SQUID magnetometer, SQUID VSM.
· SQUID based multichannel system for Magnetocardiography (MCG) and Magnetoencephalography (MEG)
· Basic research on superconductivity and magnetism in thin films of transition metals, transition metal nitrides, YBCO, YBCO/PCMO multilayers etc.
HIGH PRESSURE PHYSICS SECTION
· Studies on f electron based intermetallic compounds under pressure
· Studies on pressure induced polymorphic structural transitions in rare earth oxides
· In-situ High Pressure High Temperature structural stability studies on Uranates
· High pressure synthesis of novel super hard transition metal carbides, borides and nitrides
LOW TEMPERATURE STUDIES SECTION
· Studies on the evolution of ground states properties of novel systems subjected to low temperatures, high magnetic fields and high pressures : Superconductors (SC), Topological insulators (TI) , Kondo insulators (KI) & Manganites.
· Superconductor proximity effects induced tailoring of physical properties of topological insulators & magnetic systems : Bi-based TI/ SC (Mo, FeSe, Nb) ; Manganites (NSMO,PCMO,PSMO)/YBCO hetero-structures
· Studies on the effect of dimensionality on the physical properties of superconductors, strongly correlated materials and topological systems at low temperatures : Thin films of FeSe, FeTe, HTSC, Bi-based TI, FeSb2
LIGHT SCATTERING STUDIES SECTION
· Studies on optical phonon vibrational properties of ferroelectric, inorganic and semiconducting materials
· Studies acoustic phonon vibrational properties of relaxor ferroelectrics and related materials
· Studies on the vibrational properties of disordered systems
· Holographic Optical Tweezer Array set-up and studies on colloidal crystals
· Study of soft matter using static & dynamic light scattering, confocal laser scanning microscope; rheology of soft matter
THEORETICAL STUDIES SECTION
· Quantum Information Studies
· Quantum optics based quantum information studies-Experimental
· Investigations of magnetic and superconducting materials
· Ultrafast transient and Non-linear spectroscopies
METAL PHYSICS SECTION
· Studies of open volume defects and their evolutions in reactor structural materials using positron annihilation spectroscopic techniques : D9, Ferritic steel, High entropy alloys
· Structural stability with respect to temperature and pressure effects in glasses
· Structural and magnetic phase transition studies in novel materials at atomic scale
· Studies of point defects and their influence on local structure and magnetic properties of novel materials
· Studies on coupling of ferroelectric and ferromagnetic properties in novel materials
COMPUTATIONAL MATERIALS SCIENCE SECTION
· Defect kinetics & radiation cascades in nuclear structural materials using molecular dynamics simulations, ab-initio techniques
· Modelling of thermal, elastic and cohesive properties of nuclear fuel materials using ab-initio and lattice dynamics techniques
· Phase stability of structural alloys using ab-initio methods, cluster expansion, Monte Carlo and evolutionary algorithms
· Electronic, optical, magnetic, thermal and thermoelectric properties of materials using ab-initio methods and molecular dynamics simulations.
· Magneto-transport and spin phenomena in magnetic nanostructures using Green’s function techniques
ION BEAM PHYSICS SECTION
· Ion-beam induced sputtering based preparation of alloy nanomaterials: Ag-Au, Cu-Ag alloy metal nanoparticles.
· Ion-beam modification of material surfaces (surface patterning, surface segregation, ion beam induced crystallization).
· Synthesis of nanoclusters by ion implantation: studies of optical and vibrational properties.
· Ion-beam effects on nanostructures (sputtering, burrowing, radiation enhanced mixing and shape changes).
ACCELERATOR & RADIATION DAMAGE SECTION
· Studies of structure and composition of nano-dispersions and their evolution under ion irradiation in model and ODS steel alloys
· Studies on the void swelling behavior of advanced steels
· Screening of advanced steels to evaluate optimum composition for improved void swelling resistance using the “Ion Simulation of Neutron Damage” concept.
· Dual Beam Irradiation Facility
· Ion irradiation studies of Glass matrices
THIN FILMS & COATINGS SECTION
· Ion beam induced interface mixing – in thin film junctions
· Super-hard Magnetron sputtered TiN/TiAlN multi-layers,
· Nano-mechanical characterization of hard coatings
· Tribology of functionalized graphene nano-fluids for steel/steel contacts
· DLC nano-composite coatings studies
NANOMATERIALS CHARACTERIZATION & SENSORS SECTION
· Carbon nanostructures and their composites for energy storage applications
· Tailoring of electrical & mechanical properties of diamond and DLC
· Electrochemical behavior of vertical graphene nanostrucutures
· Behavior of multiferroics at nanoscale for device applications
· Development of Materials for radiation detection applications
NANOMATERIALS & SENSORS SECTION
· Novel semiconducting metal oxide and III-V nitride nanostructures for sensor applications
· Localized vibrational, electrical and electronic properties of single nanostructures
· Structural studies using polarized Raman and photoluminescence spectroscopic imaging technique
· Optical properties of single nanostructures
ELECTRONICS & INSTRUMENTATION SECTION
· Development and characterization of semiconductor based neutron detectors
· Studies on tailor-made microcantilevers for sensor applications
· Optical and wetting properties of thin films and patterned surfaces